In this video golf tip, Australian PGA Golf Professional. Brian Fitzgerald “The Golf Doctor” shows you the reason why most left handed golfers slice the golf ball.
This tip also applies to right handed golfers but in reverse.
So why do most left handed golfers seem to slice the ball.
Well. I've got a theory.
Particularly in Australia where we play a lot of cricket & I am a right handed person.
I am very right handed.
Yet when I play cricket. I play cricket left handed.
Now you are batting correctly when you play cricket & you are batting left handed and if you are batting correctly you are going to have your right hand in control.
So your right hand is the strong one.
So when I played cricket and I didn't play cricket at a very high level it was mostly school boy cricket.
I was really weak hitting it over to the right or the on side. I was pretty strong on the off side. And that's because my right hand was always dominating.
If you are a left handed golfer but your dominant hand is your right hand.
Your right hand is basically going to be pulling that club down & as soon as I start pulling that club down you can see that the clubface is pointing out to the left. Which is open. Which is going to impart spin that goes right to left. Which is a slice.
So what I used to practice every single week was trying to hit some shots upside down with my club.
So at first I thought this was pretty easy. I am a left handed cricketer. But it was actually hard because my right hand still wanted to do that.
So I will try and hit my right handed 7 iron. The hardest thing here is to not let my right hand work that way.
I actually feel like I am hitting a back hand at table tennis or tennis and I am getting my right hand to do that.
That will help square the club up.
But I could do that pretty consistently. But most importantly, the ball spun left to right. Which was a little draw.
So the things that you can do away from the course that's going to help you if you are in this situation is start brushing your teeth left handed.
If you walk the dog. Hold the lead in your left hand as you walk the dog.
Start throwing the ball left handed.
Drink cups of tea, coffee, wine, whatever it is left handed.
Grab a sandwich from the plate left handed.
It's not really to make your left hand stronger.
It's to improve the link between the brain and your left hand.
Because if you are a right dominant person the link between the your brain and your right hand is very strong and the signal between the left and the brain isn't as strong.
So if you can do those things away from the golf course. it will make it a lot easier when you get to the course.
And as I said if you are right dominant. just feel like you are throwing the frisbee right handed. Or hitting a back hand. All of those things help.
So there is something you can do if you are a right dominant person playing left handed. You can stop slicing the ball. By following those few simple drills.
So do things left handed as much as you can. Even if you stop at a set of traffic lights in the car.
While the lights are red. Get your imaginary table tennis bat out and hit some forehands with your left hand, swap over and hit some imaginary back hands and we put it together and we have got a golf swing.
Fore more information you can visit:
YouTube Channel https;//www.youtube.com/fitzygolfpro
My website http://www.thegolfdoctor.com.au
My Play Lists:
* Pitching Playlist (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNc_dnvNM0USTLk-H1FDyRQw)
* Swing Drills (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNdt0Jc9q5k7ndVwA9PtzgaC)
*TGD Top 5 (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNeuitexY9VUqEQNhnSRdc9F)
* Putting Videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNcQUHqsJlvhVvhBReOPR5jS)
* The Basics (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNdn9RDn-YHt62uFqb8X6Wfg)
* Bunker Videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNeyP0Nt98qIgzSRzULGLPTY)
* Equipment (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNdoyUziYF_Xjc-QO0G04l44)
* Chipping Videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNeWExnm9-xYyoPW4jp3pmK7)
* Training Aids (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNe615ojyjb3XDWo0Fkn_HhW)
* Driving (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNfDwLbuF0OYWuELzr2MHrht)
* Golf Strategy (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNem7j-nQSdmKEBgrCulbWMb)
* Q & A Videos (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNcCoVCInL95zMNzpdlwNTEw)
* Swing Comparisons (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNdmRgmaAYxlrl0E05wDPV7p)
* Hybrid/Fairway Woods (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNeMBNoeSoJxODMONq97x9Mz)
* Shotmaking (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0pw2jOJGhNdawMaqE2XzwAuCJH9y3Qs2)